Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Fort Nelson, British Columbia

Old Alaska Highway milepost 300. Wednesday morning.

I got some of the hilliest sections of the Alcan behind me now, but will be heading west from here today into the northern Canadian Rockies and the highest point on the highway at 4200 feet, my aching knees willing. The new paved highway is easier than the old, but many of the same steep grades in and out of river valleys are still unchanged. Saw two bears crossing the road yesterday evening. Some rainstorms, and good views of the northern Rockies to the west, but no recent mishaps or problems. I am now about a day ahead of the pace that I was on over this route in 1967- paved roads help!

I am beginning to run out of time, and hope to wrap this venture up next week, possibly by riding to Skagway, Alaska, over the "new" highway- one I haven't before been on- and finding my way home from Juneau. Logistics sketchy at this point. Cell phone coverage is very intermittent now.

All for now, on to the mountains!

No comments: